Thursday, November 12, 2009

Take a look around the house...I bet you have things you're not using too!

My husband and I are both pack-rats! Which has worked out to be a good thing for us in the end. I'm also an organization freak, so every once in a while when I can't take the clutter anymore, we go through the house and clean out. I've been in "organize" mode for a while now, so we've been finding things that we bought for projects and never used. Still in the original packaging, still with the price tags on them, still in the original bag. Just never used.
Most stores will take these things back, regardless of how long ago you purchased them, but won't give you cash. They'll give you a store credit. Well, I guess that's better than having the un-needed item cluttering up your house, but it still doesn't give me any extra cash.
Then came the brainwave...just because I don't need the credit in that particular store, doesn't mean that someone I know can't use it. My most recent example: we returned fertilizer and grass seed to Home Depot and had a $72.00 credit. We have no home improvement projects on the horizon, but my friend Donna is re-doing her bathroom and her husband is constantly at Home Depot. I gave the credit to Donna, she gave me $72 cash and I was a happy camper!
It definitely pays to think "outside the box"!

No comments:

Post a Comment