Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Another Way to Save on Prescriptions

It would appear that my cholesterol is not as good as I'd like it to be. I've been on cholesterol meds for a while now and although it's better, it's not good enough. The doctor explained something about particle sizes and drew little things on the tissue on his exam table...while all the while I worried what this next problem was going to cost me!
He wanted me to take a new medication in addition to the cholesterol meds I'm already on, so my first question was "is there a generic for it?", my second question was "is it on the Walmart $4 list?". Unfortunately the answer to both questions was "no". But, my doctor gave me a brochure about the drug and in it was a card that allowed me to get this new prescription for $5/month for the first year instead of the $60 it would normally cost. All I had to do was call the number on the card to active the membership, and answer a few questions about my medical conditions, which they said would remain confidential. Then I took the card to the pharmacy and sure enough...$5!
So, this is a savings of $55/month or a total of $660 for the year.
It definitely pays to talk to your doctor and explore all of your options!

No comments:

Post a Comment