Monday, August 17, 2009

The Timeshare Escapade

I think I've started off the year with a bang! We got a phone call to invite us to sit through a time-share presentation. They said "absolutely no obligation" and we would get some free gifts. With both of us collecting unemployment this would definitely NOT be a good time to be buying a time-share, but since we have plenty of time, we went.

Needless to say, we didn't buy anything, but they gave us a $50 Target gift card, and although it looks like a pain in the neck to collect your money, they signed us up for a program that gives you a $25 Visa gift card every time you spend $100 at the grocery store (up to $300).

Looks to me like I've just saved the first $350 of my challenge!

AND, it gave me a great idea. I wonder if I can call up other time-shares and request invitations to sit through their presentations? Hmmm...

2 comments:

  1. I've gone to a couple of timeshare presentations for the free gift. One was in Las Vegas was for $50 in Caesar's chips. From that I won about $100. Not a bad haul for 2 hours of my time. I went to another at a camp ground down the jersey shore. I had no intention of buying, but I did get two free airline tickets for going. Went to the Bahamas with that. Especially if you have the time, they can be a great way to free stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to a couple of timeshare "pitches" before, but never has there been the offer of free stuff like this. I think I got a free breakfast at one and a dinner at the other. This one was interesting, and certainly had the benefit of the $350!

    ReplyDelete